Regardless of your reason for filing for divorce, the period immediately following the granting of your divorce is often a hectic one. Adjusting to single life or life as a single parent is difficult and usually stressful. Getting used to living on your own, utilizing only one income, and sharing parenting time requires a lot of patience and time. In addition to managing your day-to-day life, newly divorced adults must also make sure certain people and businesses are aware that the divorce has taken place. Being aware of who to notify following a divorce can help a newly single adult avoid unnecessary complications or inconveniences.

Local and Federal Government Agencies

Notifying local and federal government agencies of your divorce is important since it further helps to establish yourself as a separate person who is not affiliated with a spouse.  Adults who have changed their names after marriage can visit their nearest social security office with a copy of their divorce decree to order a new social security card using their maiden name. Once the federal government is aware of the divorce and has updated your social security card, you should visit the local organization responsible for issuing driver’s licenses. Updating your name and address on your driver’s license or state issued ID is important if you have recently moved and gives you an opportunity to update your voter registration information.

Insurance Companies

Medical and life insurance policies should always be kept up to date in order to ensure that policyholders are paying the appropriate amount while making sure that the correct people benefit from active policies. Anyone with medical insurance through an employer should contact his or her human resources department to make them aware of the divorce. Removing a former spouse from an insurance policy often requires a copy of the divorce decree to prove that a life changing event took place. Life insurance policies also need to be updated with new beneficiaries added to ensure that in the event of your death or incapacitation your former spouse is not your primary beneficiary.

Landlord or Rental Office

After obtaining a divorce, you should inform your current landlords or representatives of a management company working in your rental office, if one of you will remain in the residence. The lease will need to be updated to ensure only the person living at the property is responsible for paying rent and maintaining the property. In some situations the remaining spouse may be asked to complete a new lease agreement so that the security deposit can be returned (so that the relocating spouse can get his or her share) and the remaining spouse is given a fresh start. At that point locks can be changed and other things done to transition the usage of the property to just one adult and any relevant children.

Get Advice from an Attorney

After getting a divorce it can take a while for adults and children to adjust to the changes.  Discussing the new divorce with strangers is not always easy, but it is important to protect yourself after a divorce.  Notifying the appropriate parties is time consuming and it is not unusual for a person to forget to notify important parties. Consulting a qualified divorce attorney is the best way to ensure that everything that needs to be done gets done in a timely manner. The attorneys at Vayman & Teitelbaum know how difficult the post-divorce transition is and are always ready to help by offering expert advice. With offices conveniently located in Alpharetta, Lawrenceville, Cummings, and Marietta our law firm has helped many Georgia residents successfully gain their divorces. Contact us today at 678-736-7700 to schedule a consultation to discuss your unique situation.